Wood Barrel Ovens (great idea on site)
Home Storage for about a year (Per Person)1. Grains 300 lbs per person (Stores better in sealed smaller cans) there's no rotation involved if you use the larges sealed cans. (? Mix & Match with other organic grains such as wheat (spring), corn, oatmeal, rice i.e.) This means whatever is your basic grain
2. Salt about 10 lbs per person. (How much do you use? Keep track) I don’t use more than two a year
3. Water 30 gallons (1-2 gallons a day- Rotate or store-distilled water in good glass or non-plastic where possible containers. Remember water can be boiled for 20 minutes to rid any bacteria. This is the hardest to store. (Reverse Osmosis)
4. Oil: 4 gallons (Keep track of how much you actually use) Or, Canned-lined Vegetable Shortening maybe easier.
5. Sugar or Honey about 60 lbs. (If you store honey be sure to get in containers that you can re-heat (very lowest F.) it in the container and smaller to melt it as needed.
6. Vegetables about 30 lbs. (Record- how much per week, month and then year)
7. Herbs about 20 lbs (includes medical teas)
8. Milk, especially for babies is about 50 lbs (dairy-soy or formula source of protein)
9. Legumes 75 lbs
10. Rice 100 lbs or/and potatoes this depends on cultures
11. Baking items about 10 lbs 2-3 baking powders, 3-4 corn starch etc.
12. Soaps, estimate your needs of bath, laundry, shampoo (Pick soaps that can double-up for all purpose needs) (Corn starch has many natural remedy's)
*Other items might be medications and such as 12 bottles of H202 Hydrogen
Peroxide (learn how to use this product...it's so basic of a healthy remedy for so many ailments and can do many kinds of healing and disinfecting.
And, 12 bottles of rubbing alcohol.
The H202 or Peroxide can be used as a rug cleaner when outdated.
*And, White Vinegar is a must (12 gal.) (Check the pages in my blog for more depth as a e coli killer i.e.)
Remember the storage containers are just as important as the food, do your research get the best for your probable disaster in your area of the world.
View of the suggested sites may give more suggestions in this area of study and add to these lists. Too much dehydrated food can be boring and unpalatable, been there, done that and never again. I gave away about two years supply of the tasteless food.
Emergency 72 Hr Food SupplyEmergency Crisis Food Supply Click on the two site for the larger lists
To get a better idea for your own households needs keep a monthly grocery record on a calendar of how much of a basic item is used in one month then multiply that time one year. Be sure to store wisely, organically grown food such as grain or the best quality will have the entire nutrient inside the grains that GMO foods are lacking.
- Propaganda of Eating Meat (Protein) Don't so much worry about meat if you store legumes.
Recycling Newspapers to Firewood Start recycling those newspapers now...
Archives of more ideas for more "natural" living.
Disclaimer: Consult your health professional for any medical advice. This is a Journal/blog, meant to educate, entertain, and only voices my experienced and an herbalist opinions at the best.
https://www.pinterest.com/survivaldaily/ He has some good survival boards.